Also Known As Muriatic Acid And Aqueous Hydrogen Chloride
Pure Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) is an inorganic acid. It is also known as muriatic acid and aqueous hydrogen chloride. It is a clear, colorless to light yellow liquid at room temperature with a potentially irritating odor. It has an approximate Ka of 1.3 x 10-6, and as such Hydrochloric Acid is a strong acid.
Hydrochloric Acid has a wide range of uses including as a lab reagent, in the manufacture of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), as a cleaning agent especially on masonry, in ‘steel pickling’, a process to clean and purify steel, and in pH control in both industrial and home use such as the regulation of the acidity of swimming pools. It is a ‘workhorse’ reagent in the chemical industry with a multitude of uses.
Hydrochloric Acid Offerings at Lab Alley
Lab Alley has Hydrochloric Acid in the following grades and proofs:
- Hydrochloric Acid 31%, Lab Grade
- Hydrochloric Acid 37% Aqueous Solution ACS Reagent Grade
- Hydrochloric Acid 37% Aqueous Solution Semiconductor Grade
Industries that use Hydrochloric Acid
Common Uses and Applications for Hydrochloric Acid
- Regent in the chemistry lab
- Industrial cleaning
- Precursor in chemical manufacture
- Metal processing (steel pickling)
- Controlling pH in domestic and industrial situations